OCTOBER 22, 2017 (Sun) - kcbs contest
Ocean STATE BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP
Wawaloam campground, west kingston RI
The inaugural Ocean State BBQ Championship will take place Saturday & Sunday, October 21-22, at Wawaloam Campground in West Kingston, RI. Teams will be able to set-up on Saturday, followed by a potluck dinner. After competing on Sunday, and the awards ceremony, we'll leave. If teams wish to take additional nights at the campground, they can also do that at a discounted price.
Located off I-95, Wawaloam is only 30 minutes from the coast. The campground offers 20+ amp electric and water in all locations, a limited number of sites with sewage, showers and restrooms.
about the contest
- KCBS BBQ CONTEST: Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society, KCBS rules apply. The Ocean State BBQ Championship is covered under a blanket Rhode Island state proclamation and is considered an auto draw for the Jack Daniels Invitational in Tennessee. The Grand Champion also can receive an invitation to the American Royal World Series of Barbecue in Kansas City MO. If the contest attracts 30 teams, it will qualify for Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown Invitational in Sanford FL.
- CATEGORIES: Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork, Beef Brisket
- OPTIONAL 5th CATEGORY: Scallops
- PRIZE PURSE: Prize Purse will be at least $2,500 based on 25 teams and rise from there, up to $4,000 for 35 teams. Trophies and cash prizes will be awarded for Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion and 1st for each day’s contests; medals and cash awarded to 2nd through 5th place. An awards statement will be in your arrival pack.
- WORLD FOOD CHAMPIONSHIPS GOLDEN TICKET: The KCBS Grand Champion can compete in the 2018 WFC Barbecue Championship, and the 1st Place winner of the Scallops category can compete in the 2018 WFC Seafood Challenge. Winners are responsible for any entry fees or travel costs.
- ENTRY FEE: $325 (includes all 5 categories, plus Saturday night campground lodging)