September 9, 2017 (SAT) - nebs Cooking contest
Green Mountain BBQ championship
Abel Mountain Campground, Randolph VT
The Green Mountain BBQ Championship takes place Saturday & Sunday, September 9-10, at Abel Mountain Campground in Randolph, VT. Teams will be able to set-up on Friday (Sept. 8) or Saturday (Sept. 9), depending on if they're cooking the NEBS or KCBS contests. We'll have a potluck dinner on Saturday night, compete on Sunday and then leave. If teams wish to take additional nights at the campground, they can also do that at a discounted price.
Located just minutes off I-89, Abel Mountain is nestled along the White River and has 270 acres of trails. The campground offers electric and water in all locations, and sewage in a majority of spaces. Also, the September dates are right at the start of leaf-peeping season in Vermont, so visitors will have a gorgeous location surrounding them.
about the contest
- NEBS COOKING CONTEST: Sanctioned by the Northeast Barbecue Society, entries must be prepared and presented in accordance with NEBS Open Garnish Rules and presented the way the cook wants it to be eaten. All entries must be cooked on site and include at least 6 portions. Eligible competitors can earn points towards the NEBS "Ken Dakai Cup” by registering themselves on www.nebs.org, and adhering to applicable NEBS rules during the event. KCBS teams can compete in individual NEBS categories if they want.
- CATEGORIES: Bacon, White Chili, Sandwich, Dessert
- PRIZE PURSE: Prize Purse will be at least $1,000. Trophies and cash prizes will be awarded for Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion and 1st for each day’s contests; medals and cash awarded to 2nd and 3rd places.
- BONUS!! North Country Smokehouse (www.ncsmokehouse.com) out of Claremont, NH, is sponsoring the "Bacon" category, and will provide competitors with 2 packages of bacon. Teams are not required to use this bacon in their entry, but those who do and take first place will also receive an additional $100 courtesy of North Country, added to the regular prize winnings. North Country will conduct an interview of the winner for their website and also snap pics of team entries and recipe ideas. Thank you to North Country Smokehouse!!
- WORLD FOOD CHAMPIONSHIPS GOLDEN TICKETS: The winner of each NEBS Category on Saturday will be automatically qualified to compete at the 2017 or 2018 World Food Championships in that category: Bacon, Chili, Sandwich, and Dessert. Winners are responsible for any entry fees or travel costs.
- ENTRY FEE: $150 (includes all 4 categories, plus Friday night campground lodging)
- INDIVIDUAL CATEGORY FEE: $40 per category