September 10, 2017 (SUN) - KCbs contest
Green Mountain BBQ championship
Abel Mountain Campground, Randolph VT
The Green Mountain BBQ Championship takes place Saturday & Sunday, September 9-10, at Abel Mountain Campground in Randolph, VT. Teams will be able to set-up on Friday (Sept. 8) or Saturday (Sept. 9), depending on if they're cooking the NEBS or KCBS contests. We'll have a potluck dinner on Saturday night, compete on Sunday and then leave. If teams wish to take additional nights at the campground, they can also do that at a discounted price.
Located just minutes off I-89, Abel Mountain is nestled along the White River and has 270 acres of trails. The campground offers electric and water in all locations, and sewage in a majority of spaces. Also, the September dates are right at the start of leaf-peeping season in Vermont, so visitors will have a gorgeous location surrounding them.
about the contest
- KCBS BBQ CONTEST: Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society, KCBS rules apply. The Green Mountain BBQ Championship was declared a Vermont state championship by Governor Peter Shumlin and is considered a 50/50 draw for the Jack Daniels Invitational in Tennessee. The Grand Champion also can receive an invitation to the American Royal World Series of Barbecue in Kansas City MO, and Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown Invitational in Sanford FL.
- CATEGORIES: Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork, Beef Brisket
- OPTIONAL 5th CATEGORY: Something on a Stick (anything – sweet or savory – that can be served on a stick)
- PRIZE PURSE: Prize Purse will be at least $4,000, based on 35 teams. Trophies and cash prizes will be awarded for Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion and 1st for each day’s contests; medals and cash awarded to 2nd through 5th for main categories; cash only awarded 6th through 10th place. An awards statement will be in your arrival pack.
- WORLD FOOD CHAMPIONSHIPS GOLDEN TICKET: Sunday’s KCBS Grand Champion can compete in the 2018 WFC Barbecue Championship. Winners are responsible for any entry fees or travel costs.
- ENTRY FEE: $325 (includes all 5 categories, plus Saturday night campground lodging)